Effective September 1, 2005, the Auditor's office combined with the Treasurer's office and is now known as the Auditor's office. The Auditor is the chief financial and election officer for the county as well as personnel and risk management director. Major duties include: ex-officio Secretary of the County Commission, Planning and Zoning Board, and Park Board.
The current County Auditor is Beth A. Knutson of Washburn. After successfully running for election in 2018, she assumed the post on April 1, 2019 when former auditor, Leslie Korgel, retired. Previously, Knutson was appointed to recorder in 2012 and successfully ran for election for that office in 2012 and 2014. She is a member of the North Dakota County Treasurers Association and the North Dakota County Auditors Association.
Duties of the auditor's office now include:
- Chief financial officer for the county
- Keeper of all records, documents, books, maps, etc
- Preparer of annual county budget
- Keeper of financial accounts for all county offices
- Compiler of property lists for assessors
- Preparer of tax lists for various assessment districts
- Chief election official at the county level
Also these duties which were formerly under the Treasurer's office:
- Keeper of county funds
- Collector and disburser of tax monies to taxing districts
- Investor of county funds for availability, safety and rate of return
- Provider of information to lenders, realty agents, lawyers, accountants and various other public and private agencies