Effective September 1, 2005, the Auditor's office combined with the Treasurer's office and is now known as the Auditor's office. The Auditor is the chief financial and election officer for the county as well as personnel and risk management director. Major duties include: ex-officio Secretary of the County Commission, Planning and Zoning Board, and Park Board.
The current County Auditor is Leslie Korgel of Garrison. He assumed the post on September 1, 2005 due to the consolidation of offices and the retirement of former auditor, Marlan Hvinden. He successfully ran for election in 2006, 2010 and 2014. Korgel was appointed to treasurer in 1986 and successfully ran for election in 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998 and 2002. He is a member of the North Dakota County Treasurers Association and North Dakota County Auditors Association. He has served as a past president of the North Dakota Treasurer's Association. He is also a past president of the North Dakota Association of Counties. He also serves as the county's Americans With Disabilities Act coordinator.
Duties of the auditor's office now include:
- Chief financial officer for the county
- Keeper of all records, documents, books, maps, etc
- Preparer of annual county budget
- Keeper of financial accounts for all county offices
- Compiler of property lists for assessors
- Preparer of tax lists for various assessment districts
- Chief election official at the county level
Also these duties which were formerly under the Treasurer's office:
- Keeper of county funds
- Collector and disburser of tax monies to taxing districts
- Investor of county funds for availability, safety and rate of return
- Provider of information to lenders, realty agents, lawyers, accountants and various other public and private agencies